For success with the butter muslin/fine cheesecloth you get in your kits (90# if you’re curious) follow these simple tips:
- First time, wash in warm water
- Rinse curds off with cold water immediately after you finish using it.
- Wash as you would your dishtowels
- Soak for a few minutes in baking soda to refresh after a couple of uses
- Soak in boiling water for 5 minutes to sterilize or as some do, bleach in a weak solution.
- Handle gently and it should last you a good while before it develops holes.
It may look very wrinkly right out of the washer but if you rinse and wring it before lining your colander, it will stretch back out nicely. As a bonus, won’t slide as you pour curds and whey through it.